Web sites respond differently from other advertising media for two primary reasons. The first, is that web users are incredibly impatient. The second, is that they are incredibly smart. The more we treat people on the web like they are impatient and smart, the higher the conversion rate from visitor to phone call or contact forms.
So how exactly does a web site treat visitors as impatient and smart? By giving them what they want, on their terms, immediately and with humility.
Some of the specific ways you can achieve marketing success on the web are by making sure the following web marketing elements are in place on your web site’s home page.
1) Use a strong marketing headline that is focused on the site visitor. Try using the word “You” or “Your” instead of “me” focused words. The headline should be the dominant element on your home page and should be larger than your logo, your company name or your tag line.
2) Make your service or product the “hero” of the home page. Use pictures and relevant text that features what you do for them. Link directly from those images on the home page to detailed pages with extensive information and more pictures.
3) Use a clear “call to action”. Tell the site visitor, on the home page, exactly what you want them to do. People will read your site content at length if it answers their questions, so be sure to ask for the business at the end of the page or article.
4) Be consistent with your branding. Use your logo and keep the colors consistent with your other marketing materials so your site visitor immediately knows exactly where they are.
5) Make it easy to contact you. Use a mini-contact form on your home page, possibly on every page, as well as a complete contact form. It is OK to use a mailto link but it should be in addition to a contact form for higher response rates. Put your address and phone number in text format on every page if possible so people can copy-and-paste your information into their contact software.
6) Use appropriate color and imagery. Every industry has a certain “look and feel”. Now is not the time to try to re-brand your industry. Give your visitors what they expect exactly as they expect it. Branding includes positioning and consistency, so this is your opportunity to be consistent and professional at the beginning of the sales process.
7) Search engine optimize your site no matter how well known your brand is. With all of the viruses and tacky web sites on the net, your visitors will *not* guess your site name but will go through Google or Yahoo just to be safe. If you are not listed then you are invisible. Start by registering with *www.dmoz.org and read up on search engines at www.searchenginewatch.com.
8) Use testimonials and brand logos from your business partners (as allowed) assuring your site visitors that you are a “real” company with an honest reputation. Try not to let your success convince you that everyone knows you want their business.
9) Interact intelligently with your site visitor. Every brand is different of course, but there is always a creative way to interact. If you sell books, let them buy online. If you are a consultant, offer calculators for metrics and case studies. If you are a plastic surgeon, offer dynamic before-and-after photo galleries. If you are targeting the younger generation, offer games that feature your brand.
Additional hints include putting your phone number at the bottom of every page, in the text, at the top and making sure it appears on your home page a minimum of four (4) times. Anything less and impatient users will miss it, costing you a potential phone call.
Your site visitors really are just as impatient and smart as you are, and they want to be treated that way. Executing the web marketing fundamentals in their entirety will greatly increase the conversion rate of visitor to contact.
“ * NOTE: In 2020, Dmoz is not as relevant as before. We suggest updating your knowledge by reading Improve your local ranking on Google and get started with Google My Business."
Host with Tendenci - The Open Source AMS to measure your conversion rates. Download Web Marketing Fundamentals Increase Lead Sales Generation
For additional information on this Marketing article, please contact: