The Tendenci Redirects module allows you to quickly and easily set up redirects from one URL to another.
Scenarios where you may want to set up a redirect:
- The URL of a page has changed
- A page has been removed and you want to redirect people to a similar page instead of them seeing a 404
- There is a more recent version of the page (i.e. redirect last year's Christmas party URL to the URL for this year)
- The URL path of the page on your new website is different from what the URL was on your old site
- Someone linked to your site incorrectly and people are visiting the incorrect link
Limitations of the Redirects Module:
The redirects module works best with regular CMS pages. Some notes on what you can and can't redirect:
- You cannot redirect Tendenci module links i.e. /login or /photos - the Tendenci URL will supersede the redirects module
- You can only set up redirects that live within the domain your Tendenci site is on - (i.e. I can redirect tendenci.com/page but not tendencipage.com because Tendenci has no control over that domain)
Adding a Redirect in Tendenci
1. From the top Admin bar, hover over Apps and scroll down to where it says LAYOUT click "Redirects" to view the Redirects you've set up.
The URL is yoursite.com/redirects
2. To add a new redirect, hover over the Redirects module tab and choose "Add a Redirect". You can also add a Redirect directly from the Top Admin Bar by clicking the plus sign next to the Redirects module label.
3. Type your old URL in the From URL and the new URL in the To URL (think - the user will redirect FROM the old URL TO the new URL). You may choose "302 Temporary Redirect" to test and change it to "301 Permanent Redirect" whenever. Click "Add Redirect" to save.
You don't need to include your whole URL (i.e. https://www.tendenci.com/old-url) - just the part after the domain. So instead of typing in https://www.tendenci.com/old-url, you just type old-URL (see screenshot below).
**The old URL must not exist for the redirect to function. This means the web page must not be in active status.**
Test your redirect by clicking the link on the "From URL." It should now redirect you to the To URL. If you don't see the changes, make sure to Clear Cache found on the top right Admin Nav Bar under Support.
Tip: Even if you have redirects set up, it is best practice to update any bad links to the old URL. This way the Search Engines and the user don't have to go searching for your new content.
Still Looking for an Answer?
Request a Help File we'll retrieve your answer right away!
We are always looking for ways to simplify your life.
Contact us today with more ideas!
Join the Open-Source Community! Give us a Call at (281)497-6567
We want to help your organization succeed on the web.